Friday, March 19, 2010

Good morning Cambodia!

Slept for 7 hour last night. That's awesome because it means I'm close to adjusting to the time change. It's a whopping 12 hours!

So I woke up this morning and saw Cambodia for the first time in the light. It is beautiful! It's also exotic. It doesn't look like anything in America. I really can't wait for the bus ride up to Poi Pet. I want to see more of this country.

Ate chicken fried rice for breakfast. Nothing says breakfast like fried rice :). We had a great time meditating and discussing Jesus quoting of Isaiah 61 in the temple at Nazareth (Luke 4:16). What does it mean to preach good news to the poor, and release to captives, and comfort the oppressed. This is the Gospel and it is meant to be applied spiritually AND physically. In Jesus' kingdom there will be no oppression, slavery, poverty of any kind. Our goal today is to be as best we can the presence of Jesus. What a daunting task. I truly feel poor in spirit.

The fired rice was awesome, by the way. So far the most interesting thing, however, has been the people. They are so warm and friendly. And they all ride motorcycles. Literally, it's like swarms of motorcycles. No helmets not pads, just a man with his motorcycle and his girl riding side saddle. But I've really enjoyed watching the people so far and trying to figure out how they relate to one another. On the way from the airport, we saw groups of young men randomly camped out in circles on the side of the road. Our tuk tuk driver (a rickshaw attached to a motorcycle...not a creature from Star Wars) told us that's what they do to hang out. They just go sit somewhere and will even sleep there on the side of the road. That's crazy! But it makes sense to them.

We're leaving for Poi Pet in just a bit but not before I get a massage! Yep, that's right. A massage. I've been told the most important thing is to make sure you tell the masseuse, "No happy ending please." I'm glad someone told me that before. That would have been a little awkward.

In the meantime, I'm also going down to the market to buy some sandals and maybe a shirt. There's a "look" here in Cambodia. All the men where a tan or white shirt, jeans, and sandals. Right now I don't have that "look". I'm going to try go recreate it without getting abducted or robbed. Here goes.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment